Contractor Insurance

As a trusted neighbourhood contractor, you’ve worked hard to establish your business and reputation. Contractor insurance gives you extra peace of mind, provides proper coverage for owned/rented/leased equipment and tools, and minimizes downtime.


Who needs contractor insurance?

  • Independent contractors
  • Construction contractors
  • Carpenters
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Landscaping companies
  • Handymen and repairmen

What does contractor insurance cover?

Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance protects you and your business, whether big or small, against bodily injury or property damage claims, whether you’re at the office or on a job site.

Tools & Equipment Insurance provides the coverage to repair or replace lost or damaged equipment and tools crucial to your operations. Whether at a job site or in your truck, theft or damage to critical equipment could cause a significant financial loss. It’s essential to ensure you have adequate coverage.

Builder’s Risk Insurance, sometimes called Construction Liability Insurance, provides protection for new construction projects or if a building is going through major renovations with structural changes. Whether you’re the contractor, developer, or builder on a project or acting as your own general contractor to build your own home, a Builder’s Risk policy will ensure your hard work is protected against factors beyond your control like fire, vandalism, and theft.

Professional Liability Insurance or Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance covers your legal fees or settlement awards if you are sued for negligence or failure to deliver promised services.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need Commercial General Liability Coverage?

Commercial General Liability, often referred to as CGL Coverage, protects you and your business against advertising liability and bodily or personal injury claims. It also offers property damage coverage to third parties arising from your operations or products or occurring on your business premises.

Are my tools covered?

A Tool Floater provides coverage for tools owned by and typical to your business, whether in your vehicle or left on site. Contractor’s Equipment Coverage protects any equipment owned, rented, or borrowed for which your business is legally liable, including while in transit.

I’m building a house. Is the building itself insured?

The simple answer is no. Typically, a contractor’s insurance policy doesn’t cover buildings under construction. The contractor or the property owner will need a Builder’s Risk Policy to protect the structure with liability coverage.

Questions? Let us help you.

Speak with a broker to learn more about contractor insurance.