Professional Liability Insurance

Professional liability is becoming an increasingly important part of business operations. Today’s consultants in health care, IT, and other professionals are exposed to having their knowledge and training come into legal question. Trigon’s brokers will help you determine if your business requires professional liability coverage.


Who needs professional liability insurance?

  • Accountants
  • Financial consultants
  • Lawyers
  • Realtors and real estate agents
  • Technology professionals

What does professional liability cover?

Professional Liability Insurance, also referred to as Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance, is critical if you provide advice or professional services. It may be required to operate or practice some professions in some cases. This policy protects against lawsuits arising from negligence, misconduct, or failure to correctly render services.

Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance protects you if you’re found legally liable if someone was injured on your office premises. Suppose someone slips and falls, or if you damage someone’s property. Your policy will cover the legal expenses and any damage awards, regardless of the claim outcome.

Commercial Property Insurance protects your business’s physical office location, contents, and equipment like computers, stock, and furniture, against insured perils beyond your control, such as fire, theft, and water damage.

Cyber Insurance protects against cyber attacks and privacy breaches, giving you and your clients peace of mind that their personal data is safe.

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of professionals need Professional Liability coverage?

Suppose you’re an individual or organization that provides advice, consultations, or professional services to your clients. In that case, you could benefit from having Professional Liability insurance. Examples may include lawyers, medical professionals, accountants, and financial planners, to name a few.

What is the difference between Professional Liability Insurance and General Liability Insurance?

Professional liability insurance protects you against losses from negligence claims related to a mistake you made delivering professional services or what’s perceived to be bad advice. General liability insurance protects your business against claims for bodily or personal injuries, advertising liability, or property damage to third parties caused by your operations or products or on your business premises.

What is a claims-made policy?

A claims-made policy is a professional liability insurance policy that responds to claims as they’re reported, regardless of when the claim occurred. This can be advantageous for professionals as it protects against risks resulting from your past services under your current insurance policy, so long as you keep your policy in force.

Questions? Let us help you.

Speak with a broker to learn more about professional liability insurance.