Retail Insurance

Insuring your retail business against fire, theft, vandalism, water damage, and more is a complex business. Our team will craft a policy protecting you, your employees, and your business against these unpredictable market factors.


Who needs retail insurance?

  • Storefront shops
  • E-commerce/online stores
  • Grocery, supermarkets, and specialty food stores
  • Florists and flower shops
  • Cannabis retailers
  • Vendors

What does retail insurance cover?

Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance protects you if you’re found responsible for any bodily injuries or property damage as the owner of your retail operation. For example, suppose a customer experiences a “slip and fall” accident at your store. In that case, this type of policy provides coverage for legal expenses and damage awards.

Product Liability Insurance protects you against lawsuits arising from a defect or malfunction of a product that you make, distribute, or sell that causes bodily injury or property damage to another. Product liability claims result from manufacturing defects, design flaws, or incorrect or inadequate warning labels.

Commercial Property Insurance protects your retail premises and contents, like stock, inventory, and equipment, against insured risks including but not limited to fire, theft, or vandalism.

Cyber Liability Insurance has become increasingly more important as businesses digitize their operations. If you have an e-commerce store, process credit or debit card payments or store customer data online, you’ll want cyber insurance to protect against electronic incidents like cyber-attacks and data breaches.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need business interruption coverage?

Business Interruption Coverage might be a good option for your retail business if you could not operate due to an insured claim like a fire. This coverage provides financial compensation for lost income (like overhead costs and staff wages) during the time it takes to restore your operations.

Do changes to my business operations affect my insurance policy?

Absolutely. You should discuss any changes that can affect the value of your business with your broker. Otherwise, you may find yourself with inadequate coverage limits or bearing the financial burden of uninsured claims. These types of changes may include renovating your business premises, changing the business’s ownership structure, or offering new products or services.

Do I need insurance if my landlord insures the building?

You sure do. Your landlord insures the building itself. As a business owner, you’ll want to make sure your own third-party liability for property damage and/or bodily injury is covered for your operations on the premises. You may also consider added coverage for your business property and inventory, cyber liability insurance, and product liability insurance.

Questions? Let us help you.

Speak with a broker to learn more about retail insurance.